Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default (OT) Would you pay $99.99 for a USED 1gb Flash Drive

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 10:01:39 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

For entertainment value, I just timed my HP Pavilion Elite m9077c
desktop, running Win 7, quad core Q6600, 8GB RAM, Seagate 1TB drive.
Well, that was a monumental waste of time. I'm at 10 minutes and the
HD is furiously bashing away. I haven't had it on for about a week,
so it's catching up with updates, virus scans, disk maintenance
(defrag), backup to NAS, etc. All that usually takes about an hour.
Maybe I'll try again later. Remind me if I forget.

I couldn't resist, so I ran a quick boot speed test. For timing, I
used:
http://stopwatch.onlineclock.net

The XP box is a Dell Optiplex 960. Core 2 Duo E8500 at 3.16Hz with a
1333MHz FSB (Passmark = 2,293), with 4GBytes RAM, and a Seagate
ST31000340AS 1TB drive. XP is 32 bit.

The Win 7 box is an HP Pavilion Elite m9077c. Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
at 2.4GHz with a 1066MHz FSB (Passmark = 2,972), with 8GBytes RAM, and
a Seagate ST31000524S 1TB drive. Win 7 is 64 bit.

I started the clock at first light (when the bios screen appeared
after power is turned on) and stopped when the Performance Monitor
showed very little CPU or HD activity.

Both machines have identical resident programs to slow things down. In
this case Avast anti-virus, Skype, Google Drive, MS OneDrive, Nvidia
GeForce Experience, Everything, and Teamviewer.

For results, I got:
Win 7: 5min 10sec.
Win XP: 3min 39sec.

The machines are not identical, but using what I have, XP boots 29%
faster than Win 7. My guess(tm) is that I tried it again with
identical CPU's, the boot times would be closer.

Now for a something a little different. Let's see how fast my shiny
new Chromebook boots. It doesn't run Windoze, so there's no sense in
trying to load it down with things to slow it down. It's an Acer
CB3-431-C5EX. Refurbished from the eBay Acer Store at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252557970886
1.4GHz Intel N3160 quad core, 4GB RAM, 32GB SSD. I'm running the IPS
screen at 1536x864, but it will go up to 2400x1350.

For cold boot time, I got 24 seconds, starting with power on, and
ending when the Chrome browser reloaded the mess of web pages I was
looking at when I turned it off. That also includes hitting ctrlD
on startup to get past the developers mode warning, and logging in
with my Google password. Add another 8 seconds to start the Android
on ChromeOS script, and 3 seconds to login again.

So, if you really want boot speed (like I do when going to a coffee
shop, meeting, event, or need a quick Google search, get a Chromebook.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D