Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Galvanized pipe too short for tub spout

On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 11:56:08 AM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:
Is there enough play in the pipes to pull them forward, perhaps via
the faucets?

Nope, the faucet and pipes are quite secure in the wall. At least as far as
pulling it forward is concerned.

Something in the wall started to move when I tried to remove the galvanized
pipe nipple. It felt like the pipe in the wall was bending, but regardless
I could tell that was a can of worms I didn't want to get in to. I've
dealt with enough galvanized pipe at my in-laws to know that always turns
into a bigger project.

+1

How far you want to push it also depends on if you have access from the other side of the wall if it goes south. Sounds like uncle's brass extender is a good solution if there is room for it to fit where it meets the spot. Local plumbing supply should have it if HD doesn't.

Mom let the house fall apart over the last 20 years, so we're planning to
sell it as-is anyway. We live too far away to do any major repairs, I'm
just trying to fix up some of the simple things that make it look worse
than it really is.

Thanks,

Anthony