Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Galvanized pipe too short for tub spout

Take a look at the links and see if it gives you an idea of what to
do. If you have a vice you could trim the female part of the brass
fitting. Your local hardware, plumbing supply or big box store may
have the same items.

https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Meta...male/dp/B0070T
VKBM

https://www.amazon.com/LASCO-03-6011...d/dp/B00HYWCIQ

That first adapter is what I had in mind if I can find one locally. I'll
have a look at Lowes this afternoon.

I actually thought about that spacer trim ring this morning. But I think
even with a close nipple and coupling it would put the spout too far from
the wall for a trim ring to fill the gap.

Another option is to cut the galvanized pipe back and use a "dresser"
compression coupling to add a pipe nipple to the end to get the length I
need. But I'm not sure the dresser fitting will fit inside the spout. I'll
have to take a look at one in person today to see how big they are.

I'm also going to see if I can find a slip on spout that will fit
galvanized pipe. That would certainly be the easiest option.

I thought about trying to cut the back end of the spout shorter, but
figured that would look terrible as it would be very difficult to get a
straight cut on an odd sized piece of thin metal.

Thanks!

Anthony