Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused[_4_] Unquestionably Confused[_4_] is offline

Default Identify generator part

On 6/11/2017 2:44 AM, Andy wrote:
On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 7:57:15 PM UTC-5, Unquestionably Confused wrote:
On 6/10/2017 6:15 PM, Andy wrote:
My friend has a Briggs and Stratton Elite generator.

[snip]

Further, it will cost a bit more, but don't use gasoline with ethanol
added. If you can find ethanol-free - usually premium grade, use that.
I use it exclusively in my lawn and garden equipment and generator.
Ethanol sucks the life out of those small engines.

Thanks,
Andy

It sounds like B&S is a poorly designed and made generator.

Engine! No indication the generator is defective.

My friend has run the engine for 8.5 hrs,

He should NOT have seen this kind of problem this early.

Agreed, but if he left the engine filled with gas and didn't run it dry,
the ethanol could still be culprit.

I am not aware of any gasoline that does not contain ethanol.

I think the govt. mandated all gasoline with ethanol.

Generally correct, but some states - Wisconsin being one - allow for
ethanol free fuel in the premium grade. I'm close to the state line and
it's no biggie for me to go fill up a couple of Jerry cans I keep up to
40 gallons on premises for the lawn mower and generator. I can even
find it in several rural towns here in Illinois but wouldn't be driving
that far to get it there.

For 2 cycle engine - typically lower full consumption in total - they
make an excellent pre-mixed fuel which has the proper proportion of
2-cycle oil added and uses high octane non-ethanol gas. It will remain
stable two years after opening. Pricey on its face but not when you
consider the service calls it saves. So long as I'm getting the premium
fuel w/o ethanol, I make up my own 2 cycle fuel.

For ethanol-free fuel near you (or near anyone else), check out this
site: https://www.pure-gas.org/