Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Galvanized pipe too short for tub spout

I need to install a new tub spout at my mom's house so we can sell the
house. It currently has a galvanized pipe stub sticking out of the wall.
Unfortunately, the pipe is about 1/2 inch too short for the tub spout to
thread on.

I thought about using a slip-on style of tub spout, but the ones I have
seen are made for copper pipe which has a smaller OD than galvanized pipe.

Ideally I would just remove the existing pipe stub and thread in a longer
pipe nipple. Unfortunately I tried doing that and the piping in the wall
started to bend. So that's not an option. I don't have the time or money
for this to turn into a larger project, we just need to sell the house.

I can't think of an easy way to extend the galvanized pipe just one half of
an inch. Adding a coupler and a short nipple is still too long.

I thought about cutting back the pipe and rethreading the end so I could
install a coupling and correct length nipple. But I can't find a NPT die
locally and the few I've seen online are quite expensive for what I'm
doing.

Do you know of a chrome slip-on spout with diverter that will fit
galvanized pipe?

Or do you know of an easy way to extend galvanized pipe just 1/2 inch?

Thanks,

Anthony