Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default (OT) Would you pay $99.99 for a USED 1gb Flash Drive

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 19:57:55 +1000, Trevor Wilson
wrote:

**You're not reading what I wrote. I do not operate my laptop with the
battery installed. It operates only on mains power. It cold boots in
around 30 seconds.

Trust me. I even read between your lines. If your laptop is booting
at what I would consider to be an unusually high speed, then something
is going on to make that happen. Unfortunately, few of my Win 10
customers remove their laptop batteries when shutting down, so I don't
have any personal experience in how this works. My guess(tm) is that
"fast startup" does not write the entire memory image to your hard
disk drive as in hibernate, but instead writes only those parts of
memory that have changed since the last memory image was written. That
would really speed up shutdown and startup. I'll play with it when I
get back to my palatial office on Monday.

Meanwhile, just try disabling "fast startup" and compare the boot
times. I predict that a normal cold boot will take quite a bit a bit
longer with "fast startup" disabled.

**I didn't read any of your cites (though I may do later), because, I
assume, that feature doesn't apply to a laptop which has no battery
installed. Feel free to correct my assumption.

Gladly, but not today. I need a Win 10 machine and all I have are XP,
Win 7 and several Chromebooks at home. Monday or Tues please. There
should also be an explanation of how "fast startup" works on the MSDN
(Microsoft Developers Network). I'll see if I can find it later
tonite.

[1] I turn off "fast startup" and sell my customers an SSD if they
want more speed. In general, an SSD will make everything go 3X to 5X
faster.

**Sure does. I installed an SSD in my Win 7 desktop machine (first gen
i5 CPU) and it hums along quite nicely. Boot times are quite
respectable, but nowhere near as quick as my laptop (5th or 6th gen i5
CPU).

Win 7 does NOT have the Win 10 "fast startup" or the Win 8.1 "fast
boot" feature. Unless you have hibernate enabled or have performed
some of the Win 7 boot tweaks found on YouTube and elsewhere, Win 7
boots normally (cold boot) every time.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D