Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default GFCI Wall Tap --- Part 2

On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 5:44:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 22:55:01 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 8:55:48 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 3:13:28 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Last year I did a complete bathroom remodel on the original
bathroom of this house. Three (3) GFCI receptacles were
installed. One for the new tub and one on either side of
large oval mirror over the medicine cabinet. I am happy
with those two. The power strip was for the second bathroom.

Were the ones on each side of mirror done just for a balanced look?

Yes!

I can possibly see a separate circuit for the tub (spa?) but a separate
circuit for each side of the medicine cabinet seems like over-kill. If
it wasn't for looks, and it's the same circuit, why didn't they put a
standard receptacle downstream of the GFCI?

I guess I wasn't clear with that. All three receptacles are on one
circuit.

Then if they used 3 GFCI outlets they didn't know what they were
doing.

I disagree. Based on what IJNJ described I can see using 3 GFCI's.

If the tub GFCI is behind a panel *and* is upstream of the vanity then it
might be inconvenient to reset it if something at the vanity caused it to
trip.

So, you run the wires off of the line side of the tub GFCI to the vanity
and put a GFCI on the left side of the mirror. Then the client says "I
want to balance the look, so please put another receptacle on the right
side of the vanity."

Well, you can't "balance the look" with one GFCI and one non-GFCI, so you
put a GFCI on the right side also, wired off of the line side of the left
hand GFCI.

The result is convenient, non-daisy-chained GFCI's as well as the balanced
look that the client asked for.