Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Bitrex Bitrex is offline

Default The 280 pound capacitor

On 06/09/2017 02:43 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Fri, 09 Jun 2017 08:00:30 -0400, bitrex wrote:

Probably because they got a bunch of large value weird-ass caps cheap
and that's what they use in everything. Like a guy who asked me why they
used a 1N4002 in this one mass-produced rack effects box when a 1N4001
would've been fine from a ratings perspective and it's cuz "that's what
they use in everything"

That, unlike most everything else you post, makes sense.

I may be a "communist", but I do understand economies of scale. Build
everything out of LM324s, TL431s, and 555 timers if you can, so long as
it meets the spec.

The old '324 and 555 are sort of disparaged around here, but there's a
reason they're made in their billions each year and it's not because of
sales driven by hobbyists.

I think the reason a lot of software is so bad is because lines of code
are basically free. Hey! There's a library for that, don't "reinvent the
wheel." So what if it's 40,000 lines long and was written by God knows who