Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen[_3_] Dan Espen[_3_] is offline

Default Lighting recommendation to replace 4 foot fluorescent tubes

Meanie writes:

On 6/9/2017 11:20 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"TimR" wrote in message
I have a four foot two tube fluorescent in a finished basement room with a
failed ballast. At least, I think so. I put new tubes in, they glowed
orange at the end for a second but never lit.

It's an old T12 fixture with a very old ballast.

I could:

2. replace the fixture with T8

Fluorescents work. LEDs? Maybe but not in my experience...installed three,
two were flickering within 4-6 months, third in less than a year. They are
now gone. Maybe a bad lot but I won't be trying them again. Fluorescents
work

Brand name plays a key role. Many cheaper LEDs use cheaper drivers and
thus, they will not last long. Brands such as Cree and Philips use
better drivers and can last to their advertised life span or
longer. Far too many people simply think and LED is the same as any
other LED and that's not the case. When they buy a cheaper brand and
it doesn't last, they fail to believe the hype about them.

The 4 LED tubes I installed aren't flickering they are working great.
Got them Jan 11, installed them right away and they are still perfect.
So, 6 months, no issues.
Florescent bulbs were never so trouble free.
Can't say anything about other brands, these Jasoren are fine.
I always read the Amazon reviews. No one else reported any other
problems.

One interesting thing for me, flourescent tubes are powered by
running electricity from one end of the tube to the other.
The LED tubes only need power at one end. My fixture had one
tube holder that wasn't in good shape, I considered replacing
the holder but then I thought, all it has to do is hold the tube
in, it doesn't have to make any electrical contact. So, just
avoided using the one holder that was dodgy for power.
Worked fine.

--
Dan Espen