Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default The 280 pound capacitor

On Fri, 09 Jun 2017 09:16:52 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:
(...)

A bit more on the cost of a replacement capacitor. A company that I
worked for in about 1977 was having a similar issue selling
replacement and repair components to its dealers. So, I calculated
what it cost the company to sell an empty box. That's a repair
component that costs zero dollars to purchase and requires no
manufacturing. However, it does carry all the overhead involved in
shipping a product, such as incoming inspection, QA inspection,
inventory control, warehousing, packing, order taking, boxing,
documentation, billing, handling, etc. I estimated $75 cost to
shipping (not including postage). My guess(tm) is that it would be
about 4 times that (due mostly to increased overhead and inflation)
today. That would be $300 to ship an empty box today, which is about
what Marconi is charging.

We "solved" the problem by offering the dealers almost any quantity of
the smaller parts involved for about the same price. Or, we would
throw in a handful of random floor sweepings with a little of
everything we thought might be useful. Either way, the minimum price
to ship anything remained at $75.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D