Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default A Ridgid tool review

On 6/9/17 1:32 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 11:15:17 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
.
Your review is right in like with what I've experienced... like to a T.
:-)

Great minds and all that? LOL... Or maybe just two guys that use their tools the same way.

I use the belt clips all the time, especially with ladder work. I have
two other Ridgid drills that don't have the clips and I really wish they
did.

I look forward to my first brushless driver from Ridgid.

Truly and unexpected surprise in quality and utility.

BTW, I think you need to let us know what brand of deck screws you were
using.
I'm most impressed that you drove the same screws in and out that many
times in a row without any of them snapping. *THAT'S* impressive!

You know MIKE, I didn't think about that since I was so focused in making the drill fail. You're right, that IS impressive. Driving them in, then pulling them out made them too hot to hold after about 5 minutes and it cooked the sap onto the screws adding even more heat. I didn't really think about it as I thought if I broke a screw I would just grab another.

I will say this, too. The finish on the screw bodies was probably 90% intact, coming off around the point as it drilled into the wood (these have the cutter tip) and then of course on the inside of the star head (a modified #25 Torx) from driving and removing.

I use these Deck Mate screws a lot for all manner of repairs and usually have 3" and 2" on the truck. These are the ones I used in my testing:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Deck-Mate...5003/202308666

Robert

I've used those, too.
One thing about that particular screw head is that the star socket is
slightly tapered so that the bit gets tighter as you push. I've never
had one slip out.

The Spax Torx version is also nice. It has a nipple on the end of the
driver bit that goes into a small cup in the center of the screw head
socket which not only keeps it centered but it also seems to hold the
screw onto the driver.

Fastener technology has come a long way and I'm not complaining.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--