Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default A Ridgid tool review

On 6/8/2017 11:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 6/8/17 1:12 AM, wrote:
Home Depot is having a big tool sale on their Ridgid and Ryobi
products. I needed a new compact drill/driver and impact driver.

Got an email that had their newest GenX BRUSHLESS drill driver on sale
for $179, and you can pick from a selection of additional
tools. I am tired of wearing out DeWalts, and since they redesigned
the handles on the Ridgids last year I decided to take a look at the
deal. I took the compact drill which is also a hammer drill, and took
the impact driver as the free tool.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Featured-...d/N-5yc1vZcgdx

I was worried about the 2amp batteries that come with it as I always
worry about enough power with the cordless offerings. So when I got
it out the job, I tried out the impact driver in my "real world"
test so I could see just how far I could push it. Driving 3"
Deckmate screws with torx heads and no pilot holes, I drove a massive
160 3" screws flush into a 4x4, and removed each one! So 160 in, and
160 out. To add to the test, I only used 5 screws (to keep myself
honest about the in and out numbers) to do the whole test. The 4x4
was hard and sappy, and the screws had their points worn smooth after
about 10 "in and outs", and the screw bodies were really sticky with
sap. Not a problem as the impact driver drove and removed them all.

Then on the SAME charge, I continued. I was floored. I drove in and
removed one 3/8" x 4" lag bolt flush to the head into a 4x4 7 1/2
times. No pilot hole, and no problem. I have had drills that were
strong enough to drill lags before, but not one that would drill
that much of a lag into solid wood. To be fair in reporting the lag
test was the battery killer. The half mentioned above was that on
the eighth drive, it flushed the lag, but couldn't pull it out.
Practically though, I would never, ever, drive a lag or any other
large shaft fastener like them without the proper pilot hole as it
is too hard on the tools. And to remind myself why, when I was
driving one of the lags it split the 4x4 completely open from about
4" back from the edge. Impressive.

No telling how many 2" to 3" screws that little battery powered
monster would drive. I would guess 250 - 300. So it performed beyond
expectations. I have read there are impact drivers with better specs
out there, but in testing that I found online, only one driver beat
this one out in performance.

I like the 3 LEDs on the chuck, and it is variable speed, too. With
the 2amp battery, it is very easy and convenient to handle, and the
belt clip makes it easy to carry around.

The hammer drill/driver that I bought to get the driver performs along
those same lines. Plenty of drive power, pretty good fit in the hand
(still like the DeWalts better for my paws)and the hammer drill does a
great job. When using the hammer function, the drill
has a high pitched sound to it, probably due its bpm function. It
seems that actual impacts generated are small and fast, and it makes
the drill aggressive and easy to control. It is a small tool and it
is reported to develop something like 700 inch pounds of torque. It
had carbide lined ratcheting jaws so it holds impact bit easily. It
has a bright LED light in the handle that you can turn on by touching
your little finger to it without turning on the drill. Same belt
clip as the impact.

Two things I don't like. All my DeWalts have a fine trigger,
sensitive enough to reduce speed of driving or drilling to literally
being hand speed. Excellent for fine work. On the low speed, it
isn't too bad, but the drill will start with a small jerk instead of
easing into the task. According to the Ridgid folks, that's the
compromise they made to have the drill/hammer drill work properly.
I'll get used to it, or when driving use the driver as its trigger
is much smoother in power delivery.

A comment on the "brushless" technology. It is supposed to deliver
more power to the tools, make the batteries last as much as 35%
longer, and all other kinds of wild claims. I actually believe it
does. I have many, many cordless drill over the last 30+ years since
they hit the open market. Most tools could never match their claims
in performance, but none ever exceeded them. At this point, I don't
know that I would buy another "Robert use" tool (as opposed the
community tools used by my guys)that wasn't brushless. I actually
purchased this same set except the 4amp batteries ($75 more), but
was really put off by the size of the batteries. The batteries were
big enough that it made the tools feel unbalanced, and hard to handle
for finer work. I am delighted at the power from the 2amp batteries,
and pleased that they are included in the LSA.

I am pleased with these tools and have used them pretty hard for a
couple of days repairing a deck after the field test, and I think they
will fill my needs just fine.

So for all you Dads out there looking for a practical gift, if you are
looking for a lifetime combo kit that really performs, look no farther!

Robert

Your review is right in like with what I've experienced... like to a T.
:-)
I look forward to my first brushless driver from Ridgid.

BTW, I think you need to let us know what brand of deck screws you were
using.
I'm most impressed that you drove the same screws in and out that many
times in a row without any of them snapping. *THAT'S* impressive!

Not to mention hot'er'n a firecracker.