Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Jorgenson/Pony Clamps

On 6/6/2017 8:28 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 6:33:30 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

IMHO the Cabinet Master
clamps were the best of their kind.

Any particular reasons? I am only familiar with the original Bessey red square clamps. The Pony Cabinet Master and Bessy red clamps look pretty similar, except color.

I own the Revo Bessey, the Jorgenson Cabinet Master and the Jet "K"
style clamps.

The Cabinet Masters simply slide much more easily than the Jet and the
Bessey. The Cabinet Masters are tougher built than the Bessey, the
plastic part. The Bessey clamps have a bunch of broken plastic edges
none of the Cabinet Master or Jet's do. Yes I dropped them but I have
dropped them all. The Cabinet Master and Jets have larger clamping
surfaces. The Cabinet Masters and Jets have an adjustable foot to keep
it level. Good for short work surfaces. IIRC the original Bessey did
not at all. My Revo Bessy clamps have a foot but it is either attached
at the end of the bar or not on the clamp at all. My Cabinet Masters
have large wooden handles, my fingers don't over lap like they do on the
Bessey. The Jet handles have many flat sides and are larger still, a
little too large for me. The jets have one advantage that I like, a
release lever that holds the clamp in place so that it does not simply
slide up and down the bar. BUT the Jets are made out of a harder
plastic and will leave an impression on the wood surface or edge, either
the Bessey or Cabinet Masters do that. I will say that the Bessey and
Cabinet Master have silkier feeling screws than the Jet, they seem to
clamp more smoothly when twisting/tightening the handle. A note about
that if there is no lubrication where the end for the screw meets the
larger washer clamping surface inside the clamp a lot of friction can
develop and prevent a smooth clamping action when tightening. If found
all Jets to be dry to begin with. The Cabinet Master and Bessey seemed
to be properly lubricated initially.

Both the Bessey and Jet clamps can be a bit crotchety at times compared
to the Cabinet Masters.