Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson[_3_] Jon Anderson[_3_] is offline

Default Another neat tool, this one US based!

On 7/06/2017 9:35 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

There have been many complaints in r.c.m about how difficult it is to
buy tools and material elsewhere. A Brit expat told me that
metalworking as a hobby is considered a sign of insanity in Spain.

Wow. Talk about a different mind set. I grew up watching my dad repair
almost anything, and while not having a mill or lathe, nonetheless, made
an amazing array of stuff. Making and fixing things was just the reality
I grew up with.

A WW2 British account of American commandos in Burma expressed
amazement at the range of skills our common soldiers possessed or
rapidly learned, from handling mules to learning how to use artillery,
neither of which British infantry (he claimed) would touch. Other
armies had to train recruits to become drivers, a skill practically
any American already knew. The Air Corps ordnance company my father
commanded made a refrigeration compressor out of a Jeep motor, to cool
their beer in the New Guinea jungle heat.

Good ol' Yankee ingenuity!

Jon

---