Posted to alt.home.repair

Default water softener R & R

On 6/6/2017 5:54 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 6 Jun 2017 17:40:13 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 6/6/2017 5:09 PM,
wrote:
Hi All ;
I think I'm all set to replace my water softener - tomorrow.
Any tips or tricks are appreciated - I'm more of a WanneBe -
than a bona fide DIY'er.
I'm new to the shark-bite and pex plumbing - seems simple -
- I've checked a few web sites & Utube videos .. any advice is
appreciated.
Existing is 3/4 inch copper with single handle brass bypass valve.
Replacement is 3/4 inch but plastic bypass with two plastic "valves".

Q1 : screwing the 3/4 shark onto the plastic bypass -
- a few wraps of teflon and snug it up good ?
- special cement ? brass - to - plastic ?

Q2 : cutting pex without a proper tool ?
- heavy razor knife and care to keep square ?

Thanks in advance.
John T.

I've never used shark bite connectors , but I'm pretty sure they seal
with an o-ring , teflon tape is not needed . As far as cutting pex , do
you have a (power) miter saw ? I use mine to cut PVC and copper ...
Snag

Shark - to - Shark is just a press in - on both ends.
Shark - to - screw is the question -
- the brass Shark screw - onto the plastic screw thread -
- what is needed here ?

http://www.truevalue.com/assets/prod...rge/122538.jpg

John T.

OK , I didn't realize you had a threaded PVC fitting . Yes , by all
means use teflon tape on that joint . As far as the rest , I know
nothing about softener units and how to plumb them .

--

Snag