Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson[_3_] Jon Anderson[_3_] is offline

Default Another neat tool, this one US based!

On 7/06/2017 3:48 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Jon...everybody is simply in shock from the price you paid. They
really dont comprehend that many things we consider to be normal
price...are way..way..way over priced in Oz. Now I might add...I
dont have a clue WHY things are so freaking overpriced down there.

Its not like its being shipped via trimarine galley filled with
slaves at the oars.
Im sure there is some reason for it....blink blink....but none of us
can understand it.

Its not personal, no one is holding it against you. Its just shocking
as hell.

Yeah, I realized by the time I got back to work from lunch that I'd
taken it personal. I wonder how many in the States really appreciate how
good they have it. NOTHING like McMaster here. Blackwoods can't hold a
candle to MSC. I have not a clue at the moment where to buy 6061. Sigh.

Wages play a part. Minimum adult wage is something just over $18/hr I
believe. Penalty rates (extra) for weekends. Limited market. Hell, all
of Australia, which is comparable to US in area, has a smaller
population that the legal population of Calif. Smaller market, lesser
sales might play a part. Wonder how long my square sat on the shelf...
BTW, it was $150 or so, with $20 shipping. As I had it in 2 days, I
found that reasonable for here.

And this bit comes from an Aussie I worked with at my last job, he said
it's the Aussie way to put the screws to people and get as much $$ as
possible. That, I'm sure was said with a bit of satire, but would help
explain the differences in prices. Well, at least one of my favorite
magazines, VMX (vintage MX) and my favorite beer, Coopers Pale Ale are
cheaper here... lol

Apologies to all for over reacting.

Jon

---