Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Red and black wires

On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 10:38:02 -0700, Taxed and Spent
wrote:

On 6/5/2017 10:30 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 4 Jun 2017 20:05:23 -0700, Taxed and Spent
wrote:

On 6/4/2017 7:51 PM,
wrote:

Why waste hundreds of feet of copper when a 1 inch jumper from neutral to ground screw can solve the problem? A 30-40 amp stove or dryer doesn't need a separate ground so neither does a 20 amp outlet.
If you swap the neutral and an ungrounded conductor, the stove or
dryer will not work. If someone swaps the neutral and ungrounded
conductor on a 120v circuit, everything still works, until someone
gets killed because the frame of the equipment is 120v above ground.

who said "swap"?

It happens a lot, particularly on old 2 wire systems. Before polarized
plugs became the norm (~1970s), it was not even important to keep the
hot and neutral straight. When I was a kid, there was no silver screw
on the receptacles in our house and both slots were the same size.
(house built in the 40s)

but that was not what was being discussed here.

Are you certain?