Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default Humax video recorder

In message , Mike Tomlinson
writes
En el artículo , Bill
escribió:

Yes, Storeton in front of the aerial and Moel-y-Parc aimed at the back.

I had the same problem despite the aerial pointing straight at Winter
Hill with Moel-y-Parc behind. They're both horizontally polarised,
unfortunately.

As is the Welsh relay from Storeton which is in a straight line from
Winter Hill to here. The English relay which Storeton was originally
built to provide is about a quarter of the power, vertically polarised
and points the other way, so that is fine.

You should also try posting to uk.tech.digital-tv. There's a bunch of
very knowledgeable and helpful people there.

I did post there some years ago. The lady with the problem with her set
top box that I asked about preferred to give up TV altogether rather
than spend any money or look at it further. She remains happy with radio
alone.

I think you need to delete the duplicate channels from the channel list
by hand

Yes.

[Freesat]

I do have a biggish dish mounted on the garage but will probably now
never embark on my plan of steering it by stepper motors interfaced with
a PC that would log satellite positions. That once seemed like a good
idea, but I never got round to investigating and re-purposing the old
industrial printers' motors.

Why do it yourself when there are commercial motorised dishes widely
available, plus support in the STBs for finding satellites? Google
DiSEqC.

Hmmm. DiSEqC looks interesting, but the person who wanted to watch
different satellites has now left the area, so my incentive has gone.

I have this elderly dish, but I was never sure that the arc it followed
was accurate. I even brought in some "professionals" but they couldn't
improve on what I'd achieved.
So, the mad idea was to build a new drive assembly using stepper motors
and set it mapping the sky and recording repeatable positions where it
found satellites, then a manual revisit to them all to work out what
they were and perhaps even watch something.
But, as often happens, I ran out of time and enthusiasm, the receiver
became obsolete, and the replacement receiver, LNB's and the printers
containing the motors have just gathered dust ever since.
Just one more example in my rich pattern of failed useless-but-fun
projects. I really must clear out the shed.
--
Bill