Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Adding Drawer Slides To A Old Hutch?

On Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 5:24:13 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 06/04/2017 3:42 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I lived with wooden rails for 50+ years until I decided to build new
kitchen drawers and use side mount rails. One way works, the other is
a pleasure to use.

It's _possible_ to build a carcase housing for drawers that also are a
pleasure to use, but it's fine furniture work, not cabinetry, to do so
and the type of use a kitchen cabinet drawer gets makes the mechanicals
much more the attractive option, agreed.

--

....and even more so on a older piece that never had the tight fitting drawers
or (insert lubricating method here) that would have prevented the wear and

If this was something other than a garage sale piece (and it's definitely
not a diamond-in-the-rough find) I might consider maintaining it's original
features. As it is, I just want to make it easier for my daughter to use
and to get a few more years out of the drawers.