Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Adding Drawer Slides To A Old Hutch?

On Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 3:33:24 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Any suggestions for upgrading these drawers would be appreciated. Thanks!

I realize that most people these days can't imagine a drawer without a
mechanical slide. I'm not among them. If it were me, I would...

Some people these days can't imagine a car without power steering. Pretty
soon some people won't be able to imagine a car that can't park itself.
Technology advances and people employ (and enjoy) it.

I lived with wooden rails for 50+ years until I decided to build new
kitchen drawers and use side mount rails. One way works, the other is
a pleasure to use.

1. Pack out the drawer spaces so that it was only 1/16 more than drawer
width rather than 1/4".

2. Apply "slick tape" to the cabinet members upon which the drawers ride.

....or add slides. ;-)

There are also drawer rollers in myriad styles which can be easily attached
to drawers and/or carcase.

In order of my preference, from worst to first:

3 - Wooden rails
2 - Roller slides
1 - Full extension, soft close, ball bearing slides