Posted to rec.woodworking

Default repurposing a sliding door

On Sun, 4 Jun 2017 00:05:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/3/2017 10:30 PM, swalker wrote:

The old house we bought 2 years ago has what would be called
"character" if it appeared on one of those HGTV/DIY shows. Somewhere
in the last 40 to 50 years a number of additions/modifications were
made and somebody decided to put a sliding glass door in the kitchen
which was on the front of the house facing a lake. Perhaps because
they had no HVAC and in AL you just sort of need it in the summer. Or
maybe the cook wanted a view.

Later someone came along and added a screen porch to the house. Later
still another body moved the kitchen to the back of the house and made
the area with the slider a dining room.

The slider has lost it's seal and the inside has turned color so
Management wants to replace the slider. Worker is opposed and wants to
add windows. Management stresses that the area has a low ceiling and
tends to be dark so wins the discussion but in order to keep the peace
suggests that 2 large picture windows be used since the slider would
never be opened anyway.

Worker reports the quoted cost of the picture windows and Management
retracts that idea.

Worker is about to suggest that a slider be purchased, taken apart and
the 2 glass pieces be framed to look like 2 picture windows.

Before I offer this idea to Management, is there any reason this can't
be done?

Jim

I'm not sure how you want to situate them. As a door, they overlap to
form an interlocking seal. If you put them side by side on the same
plane, I'm not sure they would fit in the opening tough without the
frame they may.

Would it be cheaper to just build two window frames and have glass set
in place like you'd do on a storefront? Seems that you are going to pay
for a screen, rollers, handle, and track that will be discarded. .I
think I'd talk to the local glass company that does commercial stiff.

Whether the door is ever opened or not, the CHEAPEST and SIMPLEST
solution is to simply replace the slider. What's the downside?????