Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default repurposing a sliding door

On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 9:30:29 PM UTC-5, swalker wrote:
in AL you just sort of need it in the summer. Or
maybe the cook wanted a view.

Just where in AL? Near Mobile, perhaps?

Management .....
suggests that 2 large picture windows be used since the slider would
never be opened anyway.

Worker reports the quoted cost of the picture windows and Management
retracts that idea.

Option 1: If you are within 5-6 hour drive of Lafayette, La., I have 2 picture windows you can have. Each are of a different design, with one being a bit shorter and/or narrower, than the other. One, for sure, is single pane panes. I don't recall if the other is double paned, argon fill gas, low-E, etc. I think both are 9 light sashes (I suppose you are aware they are fixed sashes). Their *sash framing has minor rot along the bottom edge, but should be easily fixable. *These are sashes, only, not the whole window frame. I can take pics to show, however, they are in crowded storage and pics, of the whole, may be difficult to take. I think each's original cost was about $3500, which included the frame.

Option 2: I have 5 sashes, all about 7' tall and 30" wide. I don't recall if they are single light panes, but I think they are. On 4 units, the wooden frames has slight rot (or some wood damage, I don't recall) on one or two edges, but should be easily repairable. The fifth unit is still in the box. I can take pics of these, also. These may be easier to remove from storage, for decent pics. I think each's original cost was about $850..... originally, the wall/window framing was custom built on site, to accommodate the sash-set.

I have quite a few other sashes, also, with similar minor damages.... I think most are argon filled, low-E, etc.

I had saved these sashes, thinking to repair & install them somewhere, eventually, but never have. I might as well offer them to someone who can use them, if the drive is cost effective.

I sometimes go to Mobile, but I don't have immediate plans for a trip anytime soon. I have been contemplating making a trip to NC, for the August 21st solar eclipse, but that's not a sure thing, at the moment.

Sonny