On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 20:29:56 -0400, Scott
wrote:

On 6/2/2017 6:27 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 17:19:28 -0400, Hooda Guest
wrote:

On 6/2/2017 11:51 AM, Boris wrote:
I have to place a dryer 10 feet from it's plug in, breaker dedicated
outlet. I would like to use this cord:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...lpage_o00_s00?
ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some say this is safe, others say it's not. I'd like your opinion.

The 3-wire cord (L1, L2 and Neutral) has no ground conductor so it connects the metal dryer cabinet to your power company's neutral wire. All is well as long as your power company neutral connection doesn't fail. If/when the power company neutral fails,
the neutral's voltage can rise to near line voltage which means the voltage on the metal cabinet of your dryer will rise as well. Obviously an unsafe condition.

The 4-wire cord (L1, L2, Neutral and Ground) adds a ground conductor so that the metal dryer cabinet is bonded to your homes ground rod system. The neutral wire in the 4-wire cable is NOT connected to your dryer's cabinet. With a 4-wire cord, if the power
company Neutral connection fails and the voltage rises on the Neutral, your dryer cabinet will remain at zero volts.

So, I guess your 3-wire cable is safe until you lose the power company Neutral connection...then things become not-so-safe.

Since the neutral and ground are bonded at the service entrance, that
is a distinction without a difference. In fact, when the 3 wire plug
was legal the neutral was required to originate on the same bus as the
main bonding jumper.

Yah, distinction without a difference is a nice loophole around code. You can upgrade ungrounded receptacles by just jumpering the neutral to ground on the receptacle. Easy-peasy & cheap.

It works - it is functional, but not legal.