Posted to alt.home.repair
Boris[_2_] Boris[_2_] is offline

Default 10 Foot Dryer Cord

Ralph Mowery wrote in
k.net:

In article 8,
lid says...

I have to place a dryer 10 feet from it's plug in, breaker dedicated
outlet. I would like to use this cord:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...detailpage_o00
_s00? ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some say this is safe, others say it's not. I'd like your opinion.

I currently have a gas dryer, but need additonal capacity.

Thansk.

What reason did they give for it not being safe ?

Because it's not the standard 6' install, and it may overheat. I say
they don't know what they are talking about. If the cord is same gauge
as home 30 amp circuit, fine.

It is a 3 wire cord which meets the old standard. Newer rules say that
the cords must be 4 wires to be safer, but the old 3 wire standard is
ok of not upgrading the house wiring. Is that the reason ?

Some cite newer code, some say it will overheat.

As long as the cord is rated for dryer service and the current rating
is not exceeded, I do not see any problem. Seems that it has over a 4
star rating, so should be fine for your case.