Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Sony CDP101 repair

On 31/05/2017 22:50, amdx wrote:
On 5/30/2017 1:54 AM, Phil Allison wrote:

Hi,

I bought one of the above immediately they appeared on sale in Sydney
- in fact I pre-ordered it. For the first week, I had no CDs to put in
it !!

With a few minor repairs, it has been working perfectly for 34 years
and nowadays getting only occasional use.

Yesterday, I popped a CD in the drawer and it spat it back - so I
tried a couple more with the same result.

Fearing the worst, I opened the machine and found some cockroach
droppings in the drawer and near the laser assembly. Not much, just a
bit.

While doubting this could stop a CDP101 completely, I nevertheless
decided to give it a thorough clean up. Took about 15 minutes with a
damp cloth, brush & WD40 and finally a dry cloth.

Popped the same CDs back in and it plays them perfectly.

I reckon there must have been a bit of dead cocky on the lens.

.... Phil

I still have a Magnavox (NAP) FD 1040 that I bought in 1984, not quite
as old as yours.
I used it for years and then it quit working, I couldn't locate the
problem. I worked for an NAP authorized service center at the time and
even calling tech support didn't lead to a repair.
So I sent it to the NAP factory service center for repair. They had it
for well over a month and returned it saying they could not fix the
problem.
I mentioned the situation to one of our other techs, he said, "let
me take a look at it" he put a wire through all the
vias and resoldered them.
He gave me back a working CD Player!

Mikek

twice over the years I've seen insect silk blocking the optics of a CD
player , once was a complete cocoon, no insect found in either case,
just the evidence of thgem having taken up residence