Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Ring Around the Toilet

On 6/1/2017 8:33 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 5/31/17 11:50 PM, T wrote:
On 05/31/2017 12:45 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/31/2017 3:18 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
What is that dark ring that grows around the top edge of the
waterline in the toilet bowl when you let it go without
cleaning/disinfecting for a week or ten days? Mold, bacteria, worse?

Minerals and solids in the water. That is where the water evaporates
first leaving residue. I put in a glug of bleach, let stand about 10
minutes, and brush it around at least once, maybe twice a week.

I'm a stickler on clean bathrooms. The rest of the house can be in
disarray, but the toilet has to be perfectly white and no odors.

Does chlorine remove the minerals with out damaging the porcelain?

I took his post to mean the bleach is a disinfectant, not a mineral
remover...

But it easily cleans it too. I don't know how well it would work if
you let it build for 6 months though. Should be done at least weekly,
depending on use.