Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony CDP101 repair

wrote:

---------------------

The pre-enph and de-emph is not quite like Dolby. First of all it is either o or off, and it is designed to turn on and off transient free during playback. It is a command on the CD itself, there is no detection of level or spectral content like in Dolby or other noise reduction systems.

And actually it is not really for noise reduction.

** Fraid it is really.

When the source has low HF content it is not using enough bits
and people complained it sounded grainy or whatever, some such adjective.
This was before CDs actually, it is built into all CD players, unless
there are some that are cheaper than even I can imagine.

** Very few CDs in the past or now use pre-emphasis and some players do not accommodate it.

When I got my Sony, I figured it lacked one feature - it did not reveal if de-emphasis was in use. One could hear tiny click from a relay inside so I added a red LED in parallel with the relay coil and fitted it in the display window.

Can't recall when I last saw it come on.

..... Phil