Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default Sony CDP101 repair

On 1/06/2017 11:21 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
Trevor Wilson wrote:

--------------------

**It did with the CDP-101, because only one DAC was used and
shared between left and right channels. All (?) other players
used two DACs (one for each channel) and the delay was not
required. For the record, I just checked the schematic of the
701. The 701 used two DACs. One for each channel. It does not
use a delay on one OP amp. Both OP amp feedback resistors are
15k, paralleled by a 75pF cap. This likely contributes to the
difference in sound quality noted by many listeners (including
me).

** More TW audiophool nonsense.

There is no audible difference and the 15k resistor business is
an obvious red herring.

Just do a tiny bit of math on those numbers.

**If there is no audible difference, why did Sony use different
value resistors in the 101 and the same values in the 701? I
presume you are suggesting that there is a measurable difference,
but that difference is inaudible?

** FFS TW, do the math on those values.

Find the -3dB frequencies and see how far above the audio band they
are and that there is almost no difference in using 15k or 16k - the
caps are only 5% types !!

**You are correct. 5% mica types. The resistors are 1% tolerance.

PLUS the fact that it is having NO effect on the 11uS offset.

**Funnily enough, the difference between those two values is pretty
close to 11uS. Those 5% caps are a bit of a problem though.

I reckon it's a bloody typo in the parts list.

**It might instructive when you next pull your machine apart to check
out the values. I just checked the schematic and the supplement. Both
cite identical values for these components.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au