Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Clifford Heath Clifford Heath is offline

Default Sony CDP101 repair

On 01/06/17 10:37, Phil Allison wrote:
wrote:

--------------------------
Trevor Wilson wrote:

"**It did with the CDP-101, because only one DAC was used and shared
between left and right channels. All (?) other players used two DACs
(one for each channel) and the delay was not required. For the record, I
just checked the schematic of the 701. The 701 used two DACs. One for
each channel. It does not use a delay on one OP amp. Both OP amp
feedback resistors are 15k, paralleled by a 75pF cap. This likely
contributes to the difference in sound quality noted by many listeners
(including me).

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au "

Thanks, Trevor W, for that cogent
explanation,

** ROTFL !!

TW is spewing his usual audiophool nonsense while a know nothing idiot is lapping it up.

Maybe. Interesting related story: I built a stereo sonar,
using a 40KHz transmitter with two receivers 5cm each side.
The aim was to resolve the angle of the response echo.
Because the receiver circuits detected a response passing
a threshold, and because the receivers would be still
resonating from the transmit pulse, the echo could arrive
either in or out of phase, so the threshold was passed a
cycle earlier or later. 40KHz acoustic wavelength is 7mm,
so there was a 10 degree sawtooth uncertainty in the angle
of the received signal. A time delay of one cycle is 25us.

The only way around this is to not use thresholding, but
to digitize each receiver's waveform and compute the
departure from normal ring-down caused by a reflected
signal.

Since our ears use relative phase to locate signals, I'd
think that a high frequency phase shift (at say 4KHz)
would very likely affect the stereo imaging.

Clifford Heath.