Posted to alt.home.repair
danny burstein danny burstein is offline

Default the Fifties are back, was: Bicycle Powered Sump Pump?

In Ed Pawlowski writes:

And you sir, are to be commended for waiting 13 years to comment. Most
people count to ten but you seem to have waited a bit longer to
ventilate and share your caring and sensitive feelings. Thank you for that.

I do have sad news though. The original poster lost his life in a
storm. One night the power went out and the basement started to flood
so he hopped on the bicycle and started pumping.

Youngsters. Ptfui.

A bicyle powered water pump (which could easly
be used as a sump pump) was a key plot
device in the novel "The Ugly American".

NOTE: while that term has become synonymous
with the US braggard who runs around the
"third world" bossing people and being
an asshole, in the actual book the "Ugly
American" was a good guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ugly_American