Posted to sci.electronics.repair
?Q?Miguel_Gim=c3=a9nez?= ?Q?Miguel_Gim=c3=a9nez?= is offline

Default Why CD laser unit fails so often?

El 31/05/2017 a las 14:55, escribió:
On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 8:30:01 AM UTC-4, Miguel Giménez wrote:
Hi

In the last years I have changed twice the laser unit of my Aiwa CD
reader and once the unit of my mom's Sony reader. The three were
original spare parts, and the three died months after.

Why this happen? Do I need to adjust laser current after change? Are
they basically unreliable?

TIA

--
Regards
Miguel Giménez

Never had or observed this problem per-se. Many times I have seen the output level of the laser poorly adjusted, poorly focused or not precisely aligned, especially if resulting from a home repair. Admittedly a small sample, perhaps about 20 players in all.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

The replacements worked OK for some months, then failed abruptly. The
symptom was always: insert disk - some seconds trying to read disk -
disk ejection. May be a focus problem unrelated to laser?

Also, there were neither smokers nor floating dust near the devices.

--
Regards
Miguel Giménez