Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Another tool rant

On Tue, 30 May 2017 06:23:31 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 7:57:41 AM UTC-4, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 29 May 2017 23:06:41 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 5/29/2017 6:43 PM, rangerssuck wrote:
The friggin' wrenches don't fit. They are in 1/8" increments, and the two sizes it turns out I need are 1 5/16 and 1 7/16. Totally useless, they are. Near as I can tell, HF doesn't sell those 16th size at all.

In a pinch you could take the next smallest & grind the faces. A 1-1/4
becomes 1-5/16 with a 1/32 off each face.

+1 for that. I have one drawer in my rollaway which contains all my
modified wrenches. Some ground wider, some ground thinner, some bent
90-degrees, some welded to extensions, 12" Crescent with 1.5" trimmed
handle, some box wrenches made into line wrenches, etc.

Each one was made to fit some application, and all took the place of
$40-150 SnapOff or MAC$ equivalents. While I did break down and buy a
Chevy distributor wrench, I so seldom did the Toyota trucks that my
modified (thinned, bent 90, extension) wrench was fine both times I
used it. My thinned, cutoff 7/16 wrenches worked better than the
expensive SnapOn equivalent for carb nuts.

Thank Crom for grinders, welders, and a wee bit o' savvy.

Back 40 years(!) ago when I was wrenching on British motorcycles I had a drawer full of wrenches bent and twisted every which way to get to the bolts that were placed by the "committee to make things impossible to get a wrench on" that apparently did the final design reviews at Triumph & Norton.

--

You left out Royal Enfield. Try changing the oil filter without
taking off the righthand exhaust pipe on a Super Meteor.

---