Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Someone persuade me how to vote please?

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
Chris Hog formulated the question :
I agree with you about May and Brexit. The EU will just walk all over
Corbyn. Corbyn's policies are OK, nothing revolutionary, just far-left
wing, if you like that sort of thing. But my main concern is how
they'll be paid for.

Yes, I feel the same.

Two things I don't understand: the pejoratively named 'dementia tax',
and why it's so awful to suggest a 50p/£ income tax for top earners.
In the former case, it's my understanding that ATM if you have to go
into care you pay for it all until your assets get down to £25,000,
but May's proposing you keep everything below £100,000 so why is the
policy coming in for so much criticism? I'm sure I've just got
something wrong somewhere and that some kind soul here will put me
right.

That is my understanding too, it was just that there were so many
objections it seemed I must have misunderstood something.

As for income tax, I recall in the 1950's the highest rate of tax, for
top earners, was something like 19/6 in the £, i.e.97.5%*, yet now
there's a huge fuss when it's suggested it goes up to 50p/£, i.e. 50%,
which is generous by comparison, so why all the fuss?

19/6 was what I remember too.

One of the scandinavian countrys, Denmark from memory, even had
it over 100% for a while. That terminal stupidity didn't last that long.