Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin' Norman Stormin' Norman is offline

Default Coffee grounds in septic system

On Tue, 30 May 2017 14:56:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/30/2017 12:05 PM, wrote:
I have sought legitimate info. regarding the effect of coffee grounds on the function of septic systems for some time.To date, NO SPECIFIC problem directly related to COFFEE GROUNDS has surfaced.

Since all materials which you can visually identify are, by default, "solids", the endless statements that "solids'" enter your septic system and increase the need to pump it out are meaningless! Fecal material DEFINITELY leaves some solids behind after the bacteria have broken down vulnerable organics.

Then eat the grounds and put them there with fecal matter. Problem solved.

Otherwise - all visible materials add small amounts of solids. So what ? All septic systems must be pumped every few years (depends on household specifics). When it comes to solids, the RELATIVE contribution of any material is what matters - for solids.

Depends on the amount. The potential problems are with the plumbing
more than the septic system as the can cause clogs in traps, disposals,
etc. Happens a lot.

No generalizatios!! We are considering coffee grounds. No philosophy - "it cannot hurt to be extremely protective" - of course it can! All actions have a +/- trade-off. Consider that in specific circumstances (handy-cap, wheel chair, , limited access, - not YOURS), "simply" scraping grounds into a garbage compactor, or dumping them into garden or compost areas, is quite complicated and requires a trade-off vs some other critical activity.

If you can dump them into the sink you can dump them into the trash can.
That is what we've been doing for 50 years now. Sure, composting is
good but that is secondary.

Do coffee grounds introduce unique chemical/poison problems into a septic system? Seems unlikely.

KI.Keating, Ph.D. (Emeritus) Prof. Env. Sci.

Nope, no problems but you may want to check with and environmental
scientist. Those college guys know know everything.

Over many years I have discovered that when put in the drain, coffee
grounds are attracted to any grease in the pipes and have a tendency
to build up and create clogs.

Best place for coffee grounds is the compost pile, second best place
is the garbage, IMHO.