Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Month of May Month of May is offline

Default And while I'm being ****ed at Harbor Freight... was: Another tool rant

On Tue, 30 May 2017 06:35:27 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

We decided that rather than pay a tree service to deal with our two cherry trees, we could handle it ourselves with the HF electric polesaw ($85 and gets really good reviews). So, armed with my 25% good only on Monday coupon, I went to the local(ish) HF.

The parking lot was jammed, there were no shopping carts, the store was jammed and only two out of the six cash registers were in use.There were at least 30 people on line to check out. I figured they's have more cashiers by the time I was ready to leave, so I spent some time getting my order together (the pole trimmer, another 1/2 - 3/4 drive adapter and a couple of come-along winches to help muscle the 4" pipe into place [I had been using ratchet tie-down straps]).

So, a half-hour or so later, there were still only two cashiers and the line now reached the back of the store and it looked to be at least an hour long. I left my stuff and went home.

I ordered the pole saw online and will (maybe) go back today with a 20% coupon for the other stuff. But jeeze, wouldn't you think they could get some more bodies working the registers? I was not the only customer to leave without buying, and it's not like they didn't know they had advertised this sale.

You can bet the manager also didn't like the way things turned out.
But his job depends on getting by with minimum employee compensation
and staffing levels, and he's captive to the whims of employees who
phone in sick, or simply don't show up for work. He hopes to call in
some bodies on short notice when necessary. That's why, before he
hires people, he asks if they'll answer that call, and they always say
they'll be good soldiers. But they don't mean it, and that's just how
it is for managers of that type of operation. It's also possible that
the manager didn't show, and the bodies who did were zoned out, or
burned out.

Now, think about the manager at Walmart, who in addition to all the
issues I mentioned, is also expected to motivate employees by using
cult tactics.