Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave M[_4_] Dave M[_4_] is offline

Default What's your opinion of this "Radio Shack" Freq. Counter

On Sun, 28 May 2017 14:02:12 -0400, wrote:

No, I am not buying another Freq. Counter. I only need one and I already
bought that C&C 150. However, I had considered this one....

http://tinyurl.com/ycyh8odk

I'm just curious. I know some people hate Radio Shack stuff, but I have
generally been pretty satisfied with their stuff, so I was considering
this.... (Except since it's a "BID ITEM". I passed, knowing I dont
have a chance to get it on my slow internet).

I downloaded the manual for this counter, and found several things that
would cause me to dislike it.
The max input signal level on the normal input is 1.4V, with no
attenuator or sensitivity adjustment.
Another issue is the lowest frequency on the wideband input is 1MHz. To
get down to the low frequencies, (below 1MHz), the signal level has to
be TTL or CMOS levels.
The TTL input only goes to 10 MHz, in fact, the max frequency on that
input is 9.9999999 MHz.
There is a note in the manual about a problem when measuring signals
having a varying frequency (like adjusting a signal generator). The
display freezes if the signal frequency varies by 50KHz or more between
readings. To fix this, you have to turn the counter off, and hold a
button down while turning it back on.

In view of all this, I would avoid this unit, however, you might not
have issues with the problems.

Cheers,
Dave M