Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default CPSC Proposes New Safety Rule for Tablesaws

On 5/29/2017 1:29 PM, Leon wrote:
On 5/29/2017 10:36 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article , says...

On 5/29/2017 9:49 AM, Jack wrote:

What are they going to do about circular saws? Bandsaws? Box
cutters?

Don't forget, cars KILL 40,000 here every year. Table saws kill no
one.

Chop saw can though.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threa...s-death.52311/

Massachusetts worker killed after saw hits him in throat
AP,

November 21, 2016
DUXBURY, Mass. (AP) ? Authorities have identified a construction worker
who was killed in Massachusetts when a power saw he was using kicked
back and hit him in the throat.

The Plymouth County District Attorney?s Office says 28-year-old Jason
Sanderson, of Carver, and another worker had been excavating an
underground water line in a trench when the incident happened Saturday
afternoon in Duxbury.

Investigators say they believe the chop saw he was using ?became bound?
and jolted back at him, making contact with his neck.

Sanderson was pronounced dead at a hospital. Authorities say foul play
is not suspected.

I'm having trouble picturing the geometry there. Unless something broke.
Or "chop saw" means something other than what I think it means.

Probably something like this.

Typically "chop saws" are not used for cutting wood.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...JeHRoCJzTw_wcB

We know that but most new reporters don't. Anything that cuts they call
a chop saw it seems. It sounds like the saw, not material being cut
kicked back so it could be saw like you show here.

Most any tool can kill you if improperly used or unusual circumstances.