Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Centrifugal pump question

wrote in message
On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 8:13:36 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 4:04:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 11:35:39 AM UTC-4,
wrote:

You are over thinking the situation. A multistage pump has a
bunch of identical sections all turning at the same speed. Each
stage increases the pressure. So you might have a 6 stage pump
with each stage increasing the pressure by 10 psi. Which makes
for a fairly efficient pump which will supply water at 60 psi.
Google it.

From Wik

Multistage centrifugal pumps
Multistage centrifugal pump[5]

A centrifugal pump containing two or more impellers is called a
multistage centrifugal pump. The impellers may be mounted on the
same shaft or on different shafts. At each stage, the fluid is
directed to the center before making its way to the discharge on the
outer diameter.

For higher pressures at the outlet, impellers can be connected in
series. For higher flow output, impellers can be connected parallel.

A common application of the multistage centrifugal pump is the
boiler feedwater pump. For example, a 350 MW unit would require two
feedpumps in parallel. Each feedpump is a multistage centrifugal
pump producing 150 l/s at 21 MPa.

All energy transferred to the fluid is derived from the mechanical
energy driving the impeller. This can be measured at isentropic
compression, resulting in a slight temperature increase (in addition
to the pressure increase).

Dan

Thanks, Dan. I read that -- and maybe 100 more pages over the past few
days. None of them really explain it. To say that the energy is
derived from the impeller is axiomatic. It doesn't explain what's
going on inside the second stage.

Rather than try to go through it in detail, I'll post something if I
find a good explanation.

--
Ed Huntress
======