Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Build my own power station

On 5/27/2017 8:05 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 27/05/17 19:50, newshound wrote:
On 5/27/2017 1:31 PM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 27/05/17 12:44, rick wrote:

Of course the wind power companies want them closed down, because
they represent a source of energy that cant be switched off when
the wind is blowing

There was a lot of discussion on something smaller than a Combi
boiler ... assume it has not progressed.

Probably not. Along with the solar revolution, the battery
revolution, the hydrogen revolution, the smart grid revolution, the
wind power revolution the tidal power revolution, the run of river
turbine revolution, the biofuel revolution....

Once upon a time a technician made a remark that has stuck with me
forever..'If it were that easy, we would all have done it years ago'

And that is a salient point here. The principles of all this
'alternative energy' have been established for years,. And yet no one
has made a commercial success ...Trillions have been thrown in, and
yet the technology cannot survive without subsidy.

Golly gosh, if it were that easy we would have done it years ago.

+1

I was looking up some CEGB Research Division "glossies" from the 70's
and 80's the other day. They did quite a bit of research on wind,
geothermal, photovoltaic, and wave power before confirming that they
were all miles away from being commercial. Hydro is a no brainer
pretty much anywhere there is a suitable water supply. And of course
pumped storage is a big winner too.

Around IIRC 1999. I was guest at a convention aimed at bringing
advocates of 'alternative energy' together with city banker and fund
managers.

There were several interesting power point sessions from various
representatives of green leaning oil companies and so on, and I asked a
lot of questions....

....When we adjourned for a lunch of soggy vol au vents and flat
sparkling wine, a gentleman sat at my table and in a thick German accent
he addressed me..

"You unnerstand zis technology ja?"
"A little"
"So, tell me straight, is there any of this that is making money without
government subsidy?"

I thought for a considerable time.

"No".

"Thank you!" He beamed. "I am to London going now, I have been here
before. We put money in, the government pays, we try and take a little
profit, and the government says you are making too much profit, and we
never get our money back. Good bye, and thank you".

:-)