Posted to sci.electronics.repair
rickman rickman is offline

Default Confused about Frequency Counters

wrote on 5/28/2017 1:43 PM:
On Sun, 28 May 2017 10:19:43 -0500, "Dave M"
wrote:

I probably got more use from the Freq counter I used in the 70s (which
was borrowed). Back then I was doing a lot with CB radios and that
counter would check the CB channel output for accuracy. But I dont do
much with CBs anymore, since no one uses them now.

Can't blame you a bit for not jumping on those "kits" mentioned previously.
Often more trouble than they're worth when you consider all the other stuff
you have to buy and then all the work to assemble and make work.
The C&C 150 seems like a pretty good deal for you. Certainly in your price
range, and appears to be a decent entry level counter. You can get a manual
from the manufacturer' web site
(
http://www.cncinst.co.kr/english/bbs...ual&wr_id=13);
(Registration required, but nothing out of reason, like credit card numbers,
etc.)

You'll probably find out, if you research "reciprocal counters" (of which,
this is one) that they offer much better resolution than other "normal"
counters, especially at low audio frequencies. This is a good thing, since
you can select a shorter gate time for the measurement than normal counters.
If you want to measure an audio tone of, say 123.4 Hz, you'd need to select
a gate time of 10 seconds to get the last digit to display. With a
reciprocal counter, you can select a gate time of 1 second, or even 0.1
second, and see all the digits the counter can display. It actually
measures the period of a signal, and a microcomputer inside the counter does
a bit of math to calculate and display the frequency with all the digits the
counter is capable of displaying.

Good luck with your choice,
Dave M

I am now the owner of a C&C 150. For the price, and considering the
specifications, I just took a chance in the dark (literally), since I
drove to a local WIFI at midnight and from my car, I bought it. I had a
feeling it would be sold if I waited until today.

I did find one of those discussion groups on the web, in which they were
discussing it. Some guy bought one (on ebay) for around the same price I
paid, and he was pleased with it, but did not know how to use a lot of
the features and controls. Someone in that discussion posted a URL for
the manual. (Not the same one you posted).
This one: http://clayphillipsracecars.com/other/150-166.pdf
(I bookmarked the URL).

This is the manual that's upside down, which I posted about....

Just curious, is the manual a series of images of pages or is the text
selectable?

I received a PDF document of an old PDP-11 listing from someone who wanted
help typing it in. I realized when I clicked my cursor over the text it
would select even though it was clearly created from images. Seems some
software in the path (possibly my reader) was doing optical character
recognition on the document. Most of it came through ok, but once in a
while the slightly out of adjustment printer characters would be misread
like a 9 for a 0, or a 0 for an O. Still, it saved a lot of time.

Anyone else see scanned documents showing selectable text?

--

Rick C