Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Normal A/C on / off cycle durations?

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 5:14:05 PM UTC-4, Vld5491 wrote:
replying to trader_4, Vld5491 wrote:
We decided to upgrade from 3t to 4t because we have a townhouse with 1708
sqft.

3 tons should be plenty for 1700 so ft.

We had to close 3 registers/vents to get out 3 bedrooms to get to
comfortable level.

Probably because something is wrong with the system, design, etc.

Plus the contractor says in every 400 sq ft requires 1
tonage.

That contractor is an idiot. Following that logic, a 2500 so ft house needs 6 tons? A 3000 so ft needs 7+ tons? You can do a manual J calculation which factors in size, insulation,windows, exposure, climate to get a correct number. That's why you have a system that is short cycling.

With regards to humidity here in CA we have a very low humidity and we
are still on moderate weather, summer starts in June. Another thing that came
to mind is the frequency of the ac going on and off. Is this not bad for the
unit?

It's less stress on the system and more energy efficient if it's correctly sized, that's true. But it doesn't mean that it's going to burn up or use a lot more energy either. I'd be more concerned about having it run enough to get an even temp.

ell the ac cool up pretty fast comparing to our old honker that's for
sure. Thanks for your infos. Have a wonderful memorial weekend😁

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ns-128958-.htm