Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.antiques.radio+phono
Neon John Neon John is offline

Default Goodbye Radio Shack

On Tue, 23 May 2017 15:52:31 -0400, wrote:

The only reason I even found out that they were closing is because the
9volt battery connector broke on my portable weather radio, so I stopped
at R.S. to buy one. (I did not know they were closing). I had no problem
paying probably about $4 for one of them connectors. Now, I'm stuck
ordering one from ebay (I found a pack of 5 for about $3), but I hate
having to wait a week or more to get small parts like that, and my bench
piles up with projects waiting to be repaired, while I wait for parts.
Lately, when I buy a part, I usually buy 5 or more and keep them on
hand, so I have that stuff here. Its costing me more to stock all that
stuff in the end, but there is no way around it....

Quick! As fast as you can before it gets away, grab the nearest 9
volt battery. Preferably an exhausted one.

Now take your dykes and carefully peel back the case. Snip the two
metal straps going to the connector on top.

Viola!!!! You now have a brand new, high quality 9 volt battery
connector. Solder your red wire to the big terminal and your black
wire to the small one. Apply a little liquid tape if you think it
necessary.

You've now replaced your defective connector without having to drive
to Rat Shack, pay a piddling amount of shipping from Mouser, etc., or
whine about ebay.

What once took a day or two to repair something sometimes takes months
now, because I have to keep waiting for each and every part I need.

Sounds like extraordinarily bad project management to me. Surely you
don't order each part individually, do you? Hmm, maybe you do. Bad.

Because of our relative locations, I can order something from Mouser,
select the cheapest UPS ground shipping and get it in 1 or 2 days.

John
John DeArmond
http://www.neon-john.com
http://www.tnduction.com