Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Brain cells needed - 1955 test

Johnny B Good wrote
FMurtz wrote
Graham. wrote
misterroy wrote

found this test lurking in the filing cabinet at work,
some of the questions might need a bit more context.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_U...ew?usp=sharing

Would I be disqualified for putting a mark on the
line provided, rather than crossing out the letter
corresponding to the correct answer as instructed?

You do not need to you can see where the mark is rubbed out.

Only in about half the cases. I looked at every "Question" with
a view to answering each one and noticed that some had been
marked incorrectly, others correctly and some, seemingly not at all.

Yeah, its obviously someone's attempt at the test that has been erased.

Starting with the boxes one (which is hardest
to turn over?) my answers are as follows:

M assuming diameters of tops of the LH ones = widths of the
RH square and equilateral triangular cross sectioned tanks

Yes, that is clearly the intention, your qualifications.

All equal

Nope, H

Move to and fro

It wasn't clear what this butcher's weight question was about.
I can see three possible 'correct' answers to this one, each
depending on how you interpret what the real question is.

Yep, this is by far the poorest question.

The previous student's rubbed out answer (V) suggests it was interpreted
as a requirement to minimise bending stress on the hanging beam.

IMO it is the correct answer, because the two anchors
have to be designed to support as heavy a weight as that
on all the hooks at once when the track is fully loaded.

But then it also wouldnt matter if it
was placed on Y for the same reason.

Another interpretation of the problem is to minimise pull out
forces on the beam's anchor rods, suggesting Y as the answer.
However, mention of the *heaviest* weight strongly suggests
both those answers are wrong due to the use of "Trickery"
involving common sense and observational skills in the real world.

Mad.

We know that such butchers' meathook rails are amply
over-engineered for the butcher's normal every day
usage so we can exclude 'structural integrity' issues
from our deliberations (plus, any fatigue induced
failure here can be remedied without expensive
and painful medical procedures being invoked).

This just leaves us with the question of, "If I were that
butcher, carrying the heaviest lump of meat from the
direction implied by that sketch, where would I want
to place it to minimise musculoskeletal wear and tear?"
The answer, quite obviously, becomes "The nearest to
hand, stupid!", in this case, Z. :-)

Yours is silly because it would have to have been carried from
outside the shop to get to the rail, a much greater distance.

The only fly in the ointment with this last option is WTF didn't the daft
butcher slide all the hooks to the right hand end of the bar beforehand?

Because they dont slide that well with the heaviest
weight on them when done as crudely as in the sketch.

That way, he could have reduced the strain and effort on his
musculoskeletal system even further by arranging for hook V to be nearer
again, allowing him to slide the 'heaviest weight' to the far end of the
bar with even less strain and effort, leaving the remaining hooks close
to hand and available for more '(but slightly less) heavy weights'.

You're over wanking this one.

I may be wrong in interpreting this question as one of 'ergonomics'
but **** it all, that's the only way to make any sense of this one.

It doesnt actually make any real sense.

Moving onto the cups question which seems to be a question of
which of the four cups encloses a presumed identical volume of
liquid with the least amount of surface area, I'm rather drawn to
B despite answers C and D looking like they could be equally as
good a choice (the 'All equal' option is rather spoilt by A being
quite obviously the one destined to cool the fastest).

I assume C has curved sides to distract those who dont
really understand that its the surface area that matters.

All of them (cogs question)

Fall

V (looks closest to the optimal 45 degree angle ignoring air resistance)

All equal (assuming we ignore friction effects as Galileo was able to)

Fall

Rise and then fall

D (as the previous student indicated,

Nope, A because they are all lined up so A has moved the furthest.

assuming a sweeping bend rather than a tight hairpin bend
where the right answer could easily be "All equal"). Again, yet
another question where I can't decide whether I'm facing a
cunningly disguised question concerned with the dangers of making
unwarranted assumptions or just very shoddy question setting.

Nope, you've missed the important fact with this one.

Move in a circle

N assuming disks with holes punched in them (in which case,
WTF is causing M to remain poised in its depicted position?)

There will always be some friction.

X (assuming equal effort on the part of the 'pushers')

Nope S because he has the smallest leaver. By definition the
capstan rotates at a specific speed so my earlier comment about
WHY S is correct was wrong, it has nothing to do with the formal
definition of what work is, its all about the force required.

Wow! Yet another imponderable question (about skiddiest car).
Yet again, we are left to make several assumptions from the
very poor quality 'evidence of our eyes' but I'll give it a go.

I'm led to assume we are looking at a **** poor sketch of a snapshot
overhead view of a sharp bend or corner on a race track and further
obliged to assume a dry equally grippy road surface with no adverse
camber or rubber crum to penalise any of the cars which I'm further
obliged to assume all have equally grippy tyres and are all travelling
at the same speed in some sort of race event.

Yes, if they were different, it would have said that.

Having been forced to make all these assumptions just to drill
down to what I *think* is the core of the problem, I can only
conclude that car C is most likely to skid due to its higher rate
of change of velocity needed to negotiate the bend on a tighter
radius than the other three cars which results in higher side forces
being applied to the tyres from the resultant centripetal force.

Yes.

In real life, there are many reasons why
answer C will be most emphatically wrong

Nope.

but, what the hey, this is just a question
on a 1950's mechanics exam paper. :-)

One

All equal

The mechanism will jam (I'm only 99% sure but if I'm wrong

You are.

then opposite direction unevenly becomes the only viable alternative)

Nope, opposite direction evenly.

This one really sorts out those who have any real mechanical ability.

I would hope that such shoddy exam question setting as
exhibited by JR Morrisby's efforts would be rejected today.

Not a chance.

However, I believe (rightly or wrongly) that such shoddiness
in examination question standards still abounds to this day.

Corse it does.