Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Brain cells needed - 1955 test

On 27/05/17 00:30, John Rumm wrote:
If it were steel, then it would be better in tension - steel is
stronger that way, and not going to buckle.

Depends on whether its an open frame rather than skinned and on how
thick te steel is.

I think you are misreading what I typed.

Of course steel buckles all the time.

The failure mode of most trusses is in fact buckling.

Which is why I was saying you can use a much thinner brace if it is in
tension. In tension you don't need to worry about it buckling. In
compression it could, and so you would need a stiffer brace to start with.

--
Cheers,

John.