Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Propane or Butane

On 26/05/17 21:25, rick wrote:
OK .. at a basic caravanning level 0 Propane is used for cold weather at
Butane the rest of the year.

Fully understand Butane has performance drop off with temp.

From the old caravanning days: In autumn after a frosty night, we got
zero out of the cylinders until the morning warmed up slightly.

I jut bought a new gas BBQ ... it came with a 75mBar Propane Regulator
Now temporarily I just stuck on a Butane regulator and connected to an
existing Butane bottle.

My question is will I get higher heat output performance if I use Propane ?
Read on several forums -= Propane burns hotter

Yet the facts seem to be:

Propane = 96 Megajoules of energy per cubic metre.

Butane = 126 Megajoules of energy per cubic metre (far more than propane)

However Propane regulators feed a higher rate or gas to compensate.

So is it worth me changing to Propane for more heat?

I don't think so - it's propane if you wnat it to work all year around,
but otherwise either works as well.