Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Propane or Butane

rick wrote:
OK .. at a basic caravanning level 0 Propane is used for cold weather at
Butane the rest of the year.

Fully understand Butane has performance drop off with temp.

I jut bought a new gas BBQ ... it came with a 75mBar Propane Regulator
Now temporarily I just stuck on a Butane regulator and connected to an
existing Butane bottle.

My question is will I get higher heat output performance if I use Propane ?
Read on several forums -= Propane burns hotter

Yet the facts seem to be:

Propane = 96 Megajoules of energy per cubic metre.

Butane = 126 Megajoules of energy per cubic metre (far more than propane)

However Propane regulators feed a higher rate or gas to compensate.

So is it worth me changing to Propane for more heat?

If my memory serves me right, from our caravanning days when we used both
fuels (with the appropriate regulators), the heat output of the grill, oven
and hob seemed to be higher on butane.

Interestingly, the modern way to do it is to have one regulator for both
fuels. I guess this means that heat output must be higher on butane.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls