Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] edhuntress2@gmail.com is offline

Default Centrifugal pump question

On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 3:39:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 2:48:20 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 2:18:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
If a centrifugal pump with a maximum pressure of, say, 10 psi is
supplied with water at 80 psi will the water pressure coming out of
the pump be 90 psi? I think the pressure will be 90 psi. Am I wrong?
Thanks,
Eric

I think it depends on how much the flow is restricted. If you try to measure at the output of the pump and the water is just going into the air right at the output of the pump, then the pressure would be zero.

If you block the output of the pump I think it would be 90. So I think you could get zero to 90 , depending on how constricted the output is.

This is my guess.

Dan

My guess is "no." The pump creates pressure from slinging a *mass* of water. I don't think it matters what the pressure is entering the pump.

--
Ed Huntress

To clarify that, I think that a typical 10 psi centrifugal pump that has 80 psi at the inlet will have something like 80 psi at the outlet.

--
Ed huntress