Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Asbestos in yer water...

Talking to the water company installing new water mains/meters for the
new build here, it seems my water main in the street is asbestos!!!

http://www.fwr.org/pipeline/dwi0822.htm

so drinking asbestos doesn't harm you apparently.

In all but the softest of water areas the inside of the pipes furs up
with a protective layer of limescale and rust fairly quickly. It is only
a problem then if it gets disturbed. I didn't think they were using it
for new builds today though it was very common in the past.

So why don't they just hose down asbestos when thy pull it out of
buildings? And then chuck it in a pond to get rid of it?

They do damp down asbestos when they are removing it to avoid airborne
fibres escaping. It is asbestos cement anyway so most of the fibres are
trapped in a cement matrix unless you smash it up a la Malcolm McClaren.

It is less serious if it doesn't get deep into your lungs too.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown