Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default CPSC Proposes New Safety Rule for Tablesaws

On 5/25/2017 5:35 PM, dpb wrote:
On 05/25/2017 2:07 PM, Leon wrote:
On 5/25/2017 1:17 PM, dpb wrote:

If it were running (and my understanding is the brake/sensor is active
even during coastdown, right, Leon?)

Correct, I confirmed that with SS before ordering.

One other operational scenario came to mind...

I know there's a bypass mode for very green wood that otherwise shorts
out the system; if one were to use up the brake cartridge on hand, will
the saw operate in bypass mode?

--

I have not tried it but the purpose for the "key" operated bypass is to
prevent the brake from triggering. I do not think the saw will operate

There is the master switch near the bottom on the saw, it can be locked
in the off position, then the boot switch which runs diagnostics and
"warms up the brake". When the lights stop blinking and the green light
remains on you can then turn on the saw. In the winter it takes longer
to boot as the brake has to be warmed more.
I leave the main and boot switches on during the day so that the saw
actually turns on immediately when I want.

With all that behind me, I have cut wet treated lumber, once, and forgot
to run the bypass. The blade began to cut but the motor shut off and
the blade stopped spinning. There was no brake trigger but trouble
codes blinked until I removed the wood. I thought surely the brake
would trigger, as an after thought. I guess the saw can differentiate
between meat and wet wood. ;~) I'm not sure I would want to test that
again.