Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default CPSC Proposes New Safety Rule for Tablesaws

On 5/25/2017 4:37 PM, Leon wrote:
On 5/25/2017 3:02 PM, dpb wrote:
On 05/25/2017 2:12 PM, Leon wrote:
On 5/25/2017 1:53 PM, dpb wrote:
On 05/25/2017 1:05 PM, dpb wrote:

"The proposed rule would address an estimated 54,800 medically treated
blade-contact injuries annually. The Commission estimates that the
proposed rule’s aggregate net benefits on an annual basis could range
from about $625 million to about $2,300 million."

Now, you're going to be hard pressed to find additional cost of blades
and brakes to overcome $2.3B in predicted benefits.

BTW, that's a range of $11,400 - $42,000 per incident. Needless to
say, they're not counting just a knick and a bandaid in the
statistics, here, altho it surely don't take long to rack up $10K in
an emergency room visit.

--

My share of the cost to close my thumb to half length was $600 + a
couple of plastic surgeons office visits to observe healing and remove

That would probably easily reach $5K now and that might not even touch
it, I'd guess.

The number in all this that floors me as seeming to be just
inconceivable is the 54,800. That's 150/day on a 365-day year, if you
give contractors working 6-day weeks it'd be 175/day, every day!
That, I just can't believe is really so, but I know of no way to
refute it without way more time/effort than have to devote to the
task. And, all I know of is the same database they're quoting, so if
it's somehow all mucked, where's an independent set of data with which
to counter...

It is a large number but on average only 3.5 people per day for each
state. And that is skewed because the population differs greatly from
state to state but I think it evens out.
One would think with rules and regulations roofers might not be falling
off of roofs. In our neighborhood in a 6 month period, when the homes
were still being built, ambulances came out on 2 occasions to deal with
a worker that fell off a roof.
Even back in 1989 when I cut my thumb the surgeon asked how it
happened. I told him I was woodworking and he finished the sentence
with, and you were using a table saw. He mentioned that they see 2-3 TS
accidents weekly, in that hospital alone. Multiply that by the 30 plus
hospitals back then, in Houston, and consider that is one city. The
numbers add up.

When we had our shop roof replaced, the guys had a barrier at the wall
and every one of them used a harness. This was a roofer that does a lot
of commercial/industrial stuff. The local small contractors doing
residential seem to disregard many of the rules.

I too wondered about the numbers buy I'm often startles at numbers for
skateboard and bicycles too. Much higher than I'd guess.